I have a like/hate relationship with pop hits. I usually feel about top 40 radio the same way that I feel about that picture at the top of Katy Perry roaring at a tiger, I think it sucks and is stupid.
That being said this is always a fun list to do and a good way to kick off the ranking season. The top 10 pop hits comes with the regulation that each song chosen must have landed in the top 10 of the Billboard charts sometime within the last year.
Let the games begin!
10. Anna Kendrick “Cups” – Well the movie was great and this song provided a good little 30 seconds in it, so why not popify it so that the masses will buy it on the iTunes?
9. Justin Bieber “Beauty and a Beat” – Hey this Bieber kid is kinda nice to listen to when he’s trying to be sweet and not a toolbag.
8. Zedd ft. Foxes “Clarity” – EDM producers joining with indie singers to create pop hits has been the latest trend and this continues this year. Usually make for good songs.
7. Calvin Harris ft. Florence Welch “Sweet Nothing” – Same as above + Florence Welch = One spot higher.
6. Rihanna ft. Mikky Ekko “Stay” – I’m totally down with Rihanna-feeling-sad-ballads. Make it a duet and I’m doubly in.
5. Swedish House Mafia “Don’t You Worry Child” – Just sensitive and sweet enough to hit the right emotional tones. Sweden!
4. Capital Cities “Safe and Sound” – A fun indie pop hit, there’s always some obscure indie band that comes out of the year as a one hit wonder.
3. Drake “Hold on We’re Going Home” – So much sweetness to it, this is a future wedding playlist staple for sure and I happen to like that feeling you get at weddings.
2. Lorde “Royals” – The year’s biggest breakout star for sure. The song delivers with its sound and its lyrics, but it will never be royal and is stuck at number two.
1. Justin Timberlake “Mirrors” – One of the best songs of the year period. One of the best love songs written in a long while. Endlessly catchy, hopelessly romantic.
The top pop hits of the year is traditionally the one I kick off the best of the year lists with and so we have arrived! I hope to later release lists revealing my favorite songs, albums, films, and other creative recaps of the year, so look forward to those.