Check out past lists here:
20. “Borrowed Time” by Parquet Courts – Upbeat and careless, perfect garage rock anthem.
19. “Damage” by Potty Mouth – The same could be said for this track as the one above it. Don’t really know why it stands out so much for me, but I love it.
18. “Crane Your Neck” by Lady Lamb the Beekeeper – Aly Spaltro shows off all her talents in this epic 6 minute track that redefines whimsy indie folk.
17. “Byegone” by Volcano Choir – See below.
16. “Wakin’ on a Pretty Day” by Kurt Vile – The title describes the song perfectly as it rolls along for 9 minutes easing you into your day.
15. “Ya Hey” by Vampire Weekend” – What a track, referencing the Jewish name for G-d, quoting scripture, and perhaps twisting the beloved “Hey Ya”.
14. “Comrade” by Volcano Choir – This really is the third Bon Iver album.
13. “Pusha Man/Paranoia” by Chance the Rapper – At first an anthem about dealing on the streets of Chicago, its back half hidden track transitions into a lament about life on the streets that asks the listener for empathy and compassion that is often lacking when “ghetto” life is observed.
12. “Diane Young” by Vampire Weekend – This is Vampire Weekend’s ode to Buddy Holly.
11. “Au Revoir – Adios” by The Front Bottoms – Just missing out on the top 10, at less than two minutes long, this folk/pop-punk group has the perfect quick and clever break up song.